4/9/07

Autism Fundraising - A Noble Experiment

What made me think about what I'd like to give back is based on how lucky I could have been as a kid. My mother was watching Oprah's special on Autism last Thursday and she was in tears given what these parents had to sacrifice and fight for their children. It brought her back the memories she had to go through with my autism when I was first diagnosed at age three and a half to four from the UCLA Medical Center. My mom tells me she prayed everyday for me as a kid while trying to help me seek developmental treatment with special education courses from Kindergarten to fifth grade and the weekend assistance at the Jay Nolan Center and the Harbor Regional Center.

I have been very fortunate with their help and assistance and it has helped me overcome my autism at some points. However, I'm still having trouble expressing my words verbally in front of important people, the boss, or even the chairman. I don't know how to convey my point well and it's something I'm still working on.

In April, only in Los Angeles, I'm hoping with the help of my friends and family to start a fundraising campaign before my 5k Autism Walk on April 28th. This is my very first time fundraising for the people I relate with for Autism Awareness since I was a child with my kindergarten teacher at the "Save Autistic Children" Telethon back in the mid 80s.

This is my start and it's going to be a work in progress from now til this month on my Donation website | http://www.walknow.org/07losangeles/al. I marked my donation goal at $500, but I want to raise as much as $5,000 before the walk.

Today, I've recieved some pledge agreements from my Chief Operating Officer at work. I also emailed my pledge to my friends from my fantasy baseball league. I'm also hoping to create more autism events later this week and next week. I'm very fortunate to have friends who are also willing to help out and donate as well. When I passed out my donation pledge copies at Caroline's Easter-hipster Housewarming party last night, it was chill and my reception there was great when discussing about how I had to live with autism.

If April in Los Angeles proves to be a good success, I'm hoping or aiming for the same at San Francisco with a team before the June 9th Walk.

- Al Porotesano

No comments: